What is an Tummy Tuck?
Tummy Tuck, also known as abdominoplasty, removes excess fat and skin and, in most cases, restores weakened or separated muscles creating an abdominal profile that is smoother and firmer.
A flat and well-toned abdomen is something many of us strive for through exercise and weight control. Sometimes these methods cannot achieve our goals.
Even individuals of otherwise normal body weight and proportion can develop an abdomen that protrudes or is loose and sagging. The most common causes of this include:
• Prior surgery
• Significant fluctuations in weight
What abdominoplasty surgery can't do
A tummy tuck is not a substitute for weight loss or an appropriate exercise program.
Although the results of a tummy tuck are technically permanent, the positive outcome can be greatly diminished by significant fluctuations in your weight. For this reason, individuals who are planning substantial weight loss or women who may be considering future pregnancies would be advised to postpone a tummy tuck.
A tummy tuck cannot correct stretch marks, although these may be removed or somewhat improved if they are located on the areas of excess skin that will be excised.
Who is a good candidate for abdominoplasty surgery?
A tummy tuck is a highly individualized procedure. You should do it for yourself, not to fulfill someone else's desires or to try to fit any sort of ideal image.
In general, you may be a good abdominoplasty candidate if:
• You are physically healthy and at a stable weight
• You have realistic expectations
• You are a nonsmoker
• You are bothered by the appearance of your abdomen
What should I expect during a consultation for abdominoplasty surgery?
During your abdominoplasty be prepared to discuss:
• Your surgical goals
• Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
• Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drug use
• Previous surgeries
Your abdominoplasty surgeon will also:
• Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
• Take photographs
• Discuss your options
• Recommend a course of treatment
• Discuss likely outcomes of the tummy tuck and any risks or potential complication
The success and safety of your tummy tuck procedure depends very much on your complete candidness during your consultation. You'll be asked a number of questions about your health, desires and lifestyle.
The consultation is the time to ask your plastic surgeon questions. To help, we have prepared a checklist of questions to ask your tummy tuck surgeon that you can take with you to your consultation.
It's very important to understand all aspects of your tummy tuck procedure. It's natural to feel some anxiety, whether it's excitement for your anticipated new look or a bit of preoperative stress. Don't be shy about discussing these feelings with your plastic surgeon.
What should I expect during my abdominoplasty recovery?
During your abdominoplasty recovery, dressings or bandages may be applied to your incisions, and you may be wrapped in an elastic bandage or a compression garment to minimize swelling and support your abdomen as it heals following surgery.
Small, thin tubes may be temporarily placed under the skin to drain any excess blood or fluid that may collect.
You will be given specific instructions that may include:
• How to care for the surgical site and drains
• Medications to apply or take orally to aid healing and reduce the potential for infection
• Specific concerns to look for at the surgical site or in your general health
• When to follow up with your plastic surgeon
Be sure to ask your tummy tuck surgeon specific questions about what you can expect during your individual recovery period:
• Where will I be taken after my surgery is complete?
• What medication will I be given or prescribed after surgery?
• Will I have dressings/bandages after surgery? When will they be removed?
• When will the stitches be removed?
• How will I bathe?
• How long will I wear the pressure garment?
• When can I resume normal activity and exercise?
• When do I return for follow-up care?
Please do not hesitate to contact us